Thursday, January 22, 2009

Trinkets

My fondest and most treasured trinkets were collected from over a span of 2 decades. The binoculars were from an antique store near San Francisco almost 20 years ago. The 3 miniature picture frames were bought at the Takashimaya in New York.

They are prized because of the memories attached to them. Among the many times I went to New York, these 3 occasions were extra special. The first time attending a cousin's wedding, the second time, also a wedding, as the maid of honor at a very good friend's wedding and the 3rd time, spending Christmas with my newly wed friends at their home, with a Labrador taking 2/3 of my bed, and us being bossed around by a little Yorkie.

Each trinket served as a momento of these precious memories. I remembered crying so hard at my friend's wedding at the chapel that the best man came over to ask me if I were hyperventilating. Luckily, the bride and I decided to put on clear mascara that morning when the lady did our makeup. Actually it was the groom who cried first when the pastor read the letter the bride wrote to him. Me, I choked up on the first sentence.

I was so happy the newly weds invited me to stay at their new home the next year, and got acquainted with Jed, the massive Lab with the biggest heart, the gentlest temperament and the saddest of eyes. Each night for those 2 weeks, I had to jostle with him to get 1/3 of my bed back to sleep on. Well, Jed had thunderous snores, too.

As for the little Yorkie, he would boss Jed around and oh, they loved to chase the postman. It was funny to see Jed following Potato Cake's command to go "chase". Jed would stand guard wagging his tail while the little guy yapped his way out. It's funny.

Jed passed away last year.

When I read what my friend wrote me of Jed's last days, my tears welled up and blurred the words on the screen. But I am so honored to have met this big gentle guy.

When the brush fires raged thru' California, people were asked what were the few items they'd brought with them, when they saw the fires coming so rapidly. Almost all said, their pets, photos of loved ones and items that had personal meaning to them, and funnily enough, not the items with the most dollar value.

3 comments:

pascale said...

We all have those 'treasures', ones that only mean something to you.
How wonderful, I would have to eye them extra carefully when I visit you next time! :)

Sorry about Jed... :(

bonnie said...

I guess all "treasures" connect to some unforgettable experiences or memories. :)

josephine said...

人隨著年紀漸長,難忘的事真的不少。正如我和你之間的友誼,亦令我有很多不少回憶;看見浸會洗手間,想起你我相識;九龍塘的馬路,令我想起你駕駛衝燈;想起浸大的課室,想起你同我講你要結婚,想起佐敦,就想起那段痛苦的日子......太多太多。人與人之間有著很多回憶,我希望到結算之日,可以算得出開心的回憶比不開心的回憶多!

Related Posts with Thumbnails