Friday, June 27, 2008

Sex and the City - A Guy's Viewpoint

Confession : I saw SATC twice. The first time was with a gal pal who had never followed the series and was wondering what the hype was about. The second time was four gals who had followed the series in various degrees. We were all very excited the movie was on and disappointed about how hard it was to get tickets. One thing for sure is, we never thought of going to watch it with our male friends.

So, I was pretty surprised one day, when I received a call from a male friend asking me if I had seen the movie, and would I go to see it again. I told him I had already seen it twice. Then he said "Great! We can talk about the movie then". He proceeded to tell me the bits and parts that moved him and that he was actually a little teary. My mind went blank.

I was totally caught off guard and I cut him off in the middle of a sentence and said, "it's a chick flick". It's like I could not comprehend why a straight guy would go and see SATC and discuss it with me, let alone be moved! After rudely interupting him, his comeback line was, "I do have a feminine side, you know".

Ok....

I thought it's an isolated incident of a guy into SATC....

Am I wrong! I just heard from a gal pal that a male friend of hers had followed the series all the way through, and told her how real the story was. He could totally relate to the on going struggle between Big and Carrie. He said the characters were not fictional. It's a portrait of everyday women.

Ok....

I wonder how many guys out there would vouch that they like SATC. Guys who won't be embarassed to admit they saw the movie and wont' say "it's a chick flick" in your face. Instead of blaming the male friends who wouldn't go with us to see the movie, I guess I should reflect on my narrow-mindedness of categorizing SATC is a chick flick and Indiana Jones is a male flick...

2 comments:

pascale said...

I had a good laugh, thanks for the post.
Actually it's a male person who introdcued me this series and he bought me the DVD set saying I should watch it. haha
But I love Indiana Jones too so I guess I have a masculine side in me too. :p

bonnie said...

I guess everyone has both sides, the masculine being the rational, action-oriented and the feminine side as sensitive and feeling...:p
Again, it's sterotype!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails