Sunday, December 14, 2008

PETA

It's the holiday season and a time of giving. Personally, it's a time to donate to a charity I truly believe in. I have been a staunch supporter of Animals Asia for years, a worthy and noble cause in saving Moon Bears from bile farms.

This year, I plan to continue to pledge money to these beloved bears and do my part in helping to end this cruelty in abusing animals for human vanity.


The famous ad "I'd rather go naked than wear FUR!"

Another worthy cause I am considering is PETA.

In the December 22th, 2008's issue of Time Magazine, the co-founder of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, took 10 questions from readers.

Excerpts:

Is there a simple,everyday way people can help animals?

Absolutely, Give your dog or cat respect, patience, understanding and love. And if you just change to one vegetarian day a week, that's a wonderful step that will save animal lives. It means you have chosen something kind instead of something cruel.


Is PETA against the consumption of meat? Do you want us to be vegetarian?

I think if you're against cruelty and you look at what happens to farm animals in slaughterhouses and on factory farms, you have to be completely against eating meat. And we don't need animals. It's the 21st century. It's healthier for us, better for the environment and certainy kinder to be a vegetarian.

I have never worn fur in my life. A family member tried to give me a fur coat one year, and the smell of the coat is one I'll never foget, the smell of animal blood. It gave me the chills and I simply told her that I don't wear fur.

Gradually, I have turned from buying leather goods into buying canvas and fabric bags and shoes. I haven't taken red meat since I was 16, and that is 25 years now. I still take seafood and chicken, but I plan to quit that, too. I guess to some people, it's over the top or irrational. Hey, everyone can choose their own lifestyle.

The operative words that Ingrid has used in the excerpt above are kind and kinder and that means a lot to me.

3 comments:

josephine said...

如果這個世界的人可以自律,那素食者及肉食者也沒有問題;但人越來越過份,為了個人的食慾,對動物做盡一切傷害,為求滿足自己的私慾;因此現時社會存在的問題,雞、牛等等出現問題,也是人類自己取得的!

bonnie said...

Can't agree more!!

pascale said...

I respect your choice, but I will keep my menu the way it is- hehehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails